Monday, June 8, 2009

I'm a big girl!

Today was Haley's first day at Mother's Day Out, or "school" as we call it.  They really do teach them a lot.  Last night as I was getting her lunch bag ready, sadness washed over me.  Sadness because she is my baby and I had major anxiety about dropping her off and leaving her for 5 hours.  We've been pretty much attached at the hip for the last 16 months.  Then the real sadness set in when I thought about Hanna's first day when she was only 13 months.  How can she be 3 1/2 already??

I think I was the only one with anxiety this morning because Haley seemed giddy all morning long.  Like she new something really fun was about to happen.  She picked up her nap mat and was ready to go!  When we got to her class, she threw her blankie under one arm and puppy under the other and went right on in.  She waved at me and that was it!  She was probably relieved to be getting a break from us and play with other people her age.  I am not sending Hanna to school this summer so she and I can spend one-on-one time together, even if it's just for one day.  I think she really needs that and come this fall, she starts pre-school and life will become a little more hectic.  

We painted pottery with friends and had lunch and went to Target afterwards.  I think Hanna really enjoyed not having to share me for once.  I certainly appreciated tending to one child instead of two for a change.  We looked forward to picking Haley up to see how her first day went.  She loved it, especially music class.  She didn't nap and she didn't eat much of her lunch but she made up for it tonight!  Holy Moses!  I have to share what all she ate for dinner because I am still in shock; corn, green bean casserole, ham, cheese, 1/2 slice of bread, mandarin oranges, cinnamon graham crackers, a banana, strawberries, and some mini marshmallows.  I am glad to see that she is eating well again.  


2 comments:

The Robinsons said...

i love this post. she doesn't look like a baby in that picture. i was cracking up about her big meal.

Beth said...

Oh I know what you mean. I can't believe Luke will be 1 on the 19th. So sad, I dont want my kids to grow up!