Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Tennessee Trek

Once again, I set out for another Evel Knievel, death defying feat.  You may not agree with the direct correlation between a motorcycle daredevil and that of a stay-at-home-mom driving with her two sweet and adorable offspring some 650 miles, ALONE. I beg to differ.  It takes a lot of courage and some deep-rooted craziness to pull off something so "evel."  In all honesty, we fared way better than our last drive.  For once, the sweltering heat was actually a welcome.  Nobody wanted to be out of the coolness of the car for more than 10 minutes at a time.  We feared that our rubber soles would meld with the asphalt and we would never make it to our destination.  Bathroom breaks were short and sweet and we picnicked in the car for lunch at a very nice rest area.  Between stops I threw jerky and gobstoppers behind me and it seemed to calm the giants.  

We made excellent time due to my expert snack packing and port-a-potty
 that by the time we reached my brother's house it was only 6 o'clock!  I initially intended to spend the night like I did previously but since it was still early we threw back a few slices of pie and a couple cold ones and loaded back into the Buick.  Anthony and Hillary were so gracious to have dinner waiting for us and it was such a treat to rest our weary legs and visit with Uncle and "Hill-a-wee".  The second those girls were unlatched they went hog wild from start to finish only scarfing down bits of pizza between rounds.  I think they scared the kin folk a little.  

I would have given in and stayed but I wanted to beat Evel's record and I couldn't bear to hear the words, "Are we at Mimi and Papa's house?" uttered one more time.  Besides it is a mere 2 hour drive from Murfreesboro to Rugby.  By the time we made it to my Mom and Dad's it was around 11:00pm Eastern time.  I thought after a few quick hugs that bedtime would quickly ensue for my little homey's.  Was I ever wrong.  They acted as if they'd been given straight caffeine above any other nutrient for the last 5 hours.  I soon found myself ravenous for the melted cheese on crackers and juice that was intended for the girls and got my second wind.  I don't know how many hours passed until bedtime since it is a little hazy. 
 
I love going home to visit especially now since I have my own children.  For some reason I adopt this laissez-faire kind of attitude while there.  Probably since my parents take over and it becomes a mini vacay for myself!  They really are the greatest grand-parents a girl could ask for!!  Here are the girls "doctoring" Mimi the morning after.



No comments: