Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pittsburgh

So, I must be just crazy enough to want to make a drive to TN with the girls........ALONE.  Of course, now that the trip is behind me it's easy to say, "Well, that wasn't soooooo bad."  We drove to my brother's house just outside of Nashville to crash leaving the last two hours drive for morning.  I think we all were ready to get out of that car!  I won't bore with all the details of the drive, let's just say there were some tears shed and I'm not telling by whom.  

After resting up and eating a nice breakfast with Anthony and Hillary we loaded back into the car to head for my parents house.  Those two hours were a piece of cake!  After spending a few days at my parents house, I left the girls and drove back to Anthony's house.  We flew to Pittsburgh to spend some time Heather and Marco.  We had so much fun!  I've wanted to go for a visit ever since she moved there but the opportunity never presented itself, until now!  

Our first day in Pittsburgh was rainy and cold so we hung out at the mall and had lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.
That night we drove into the city and went to the Birmingham Bridge Tavern to watch some basketball and throw back a few.
We went to a neat little Italian bar called Dish after leaving BBT.  This is Heather and Marco's friend "Lech" with Anthony.  He was a riot!
On Friday we drove back into the city.  Marco was a great tour guide pointing out all the interesting tidbits about the city.  
Here we are in front of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers.
We worked up an appetite making a complete circle around the city, so they took us to the original Primanti Bros. for their famous sandwich.  Primanti Bros. has been featured on the Travel channel.  I was so excited to try this sandwich as I always look forward to trying new things.  It did not disappoint!  I will be craving this cap & cheese for a long time.

On Saturday night Marco's mother, Anna, prepared us a wonderful Italian meal.  What a treat!  It was so much fun getting to meet her and to see where Marco grew up.  She was so cute.  After dinner and over coffee, we discovered that during the introductions, Anna missed the part about Anthony being our brother.  All along she thought that Anthony and I were married.  She got so tickled and we all got a good laugh out of it.  She has a strong Italian accent so it was fun to hear how she pronounced certain words.  What a great meal!  I think I gained 10 lbs while in Pittsburgh.

After dinner, we drove up on Mt. Washington to get a glimpse of the city.  It was so beautiful at night!  It was a little chilly and very windy up there.
We wandered into a neat little bar and had a couple drinks before calling it a night.  We went back to Heather and Marco's apartment and played Scrabble until the wee hours of the morning.  What a great trip!!  Thank you Heather and Marco for being so generous with your time.  It was fabulous and I can't wait to come back!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like you had a great time! That sandwich is HUGE! I bet it was yummy though! I've never seen anything like it.

Heather said...

Yes it was fabulous and we had the best time with you guys......can't wait until you can come back.

Raven said...

I just now caught up on your blog and all your new pictures! I can now see why you polished off the sandwich! DE-LISH!!!!! YUMMMMMMM!! What a great trip!