Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy "Hallowing" Everyone!

Halloween is without a doubt one of my favorite holidays. It has been ever since I was a wee one. My sister and I would celebrate it all month long by drawing haunted houses with lift-the-flap doors with a ghost or goblin waiting on the other side. So, when the big day finally arrived we would climb the walls with great anticipation. We tricked and treated the old fashioned way since we didn't live in a subdivision. Mom would drive us around town and we would jump in and out of the van, yes a van, as fast as we could running up to each door to see what new treat awaited us. So, no doubt I try to influence Hanna as much as possible with all my own "loves" as a child. I think she is slowly coming around and has been asking all week, "Is Hallowing comeen over tonight?"

I decided to try and make her costume myself this year. She wanted to be a pumpkin, how hard could that be I asked. Well, late Tuesday night I got the answer loud and clear. Around 10pm Jason could see that my pumpkin making skills were lacking and he got out of bed and got dressed and drove back to Wal-Mart (we had been there just a few hours previous) and bought a pre-made pumpkin costume for Hanna since I needed it by the next morning. But I was determined to finish what I started as the vision in my head was so cute and perfect. When he returned with the pumpkin to see that I was still hard at work he thought about having me commited for insanity. Proud of my handy-work I made Hanna try it on the next morning. It was a little sad to say the least; crooked smile, uneven, uncomfortable. Jason's pumpkin is now ahead and in the lead. So, I swallow my pride and put the "other" pumpkin on her and see that it's much less frightening than mine and lots more comfortable.

So, a big thank you goes out to you Jason for trudging out to Wal-Mart at 11pm to buy probably the last pumpkin they had. Hanna will be forever grateful that when she's a teenager she won't have to say, "Do you remember that one Halloween that Mom made we wear that hideous pumpkin she made?"

2 comments:

Beth said...

Where is the picture of your costume? It can't be that bad, your homemade candies look awesome, so I'm sure the pumpkin suit was fine too! Watch out Martha Stewart!

THE KNIGHTS said...

Ha BETH! i was going to ask the same thing! Where are the pictures? I am so proud of you for taking a crack at it too!