Saturday, October 11, 2008

THESE ARE A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS

As a Mom I feel slightly obligated to share some of my fave things. So I have compiled a list of such with an explanation for why they are indeed favorites. At the moment these are the things that I cannot live without.

These are in no particular order.


  • Nutella- This nutty choco-la-tey spread could definitely take the place of peanut butter in my book. I love it on toast with sliced strawberries. Heated ever so slightly and drizzled over berries is another favorite. Even digging in for a heaping spoonful when you're craving something sweet seems far better than the alternative and healthier. Hazelnuts have protein, right? You can usually find it hanging out at the end of the peanut butter and jelly aisle. Try some and let your imagination go wild.

  • Face Primer- I am all about anything that is going to diminish the look of pores. This silky concoction seems to glide over your face effortlessly filling in those unwanted "dimples" leaving a smooth canvas. You can cover your entire face after moisturizing and wear alone or under make-up. I am a fan of Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer but I'm sure there are a plethora of primers out there that are easily comparable. What pores?

  • Peppermint Altoids- Not called the curiously strong mint for nothing these little babies pack a punch. I keep them in my purse for emergencies like when I'm on my way to MDO with morning/coffee breathe and I realize that a toothbrush did not make it into my mouth that morning. They seem to work better than any other mint. One goes a long way!

  • Downy Wrinkle Release- Now, as some of you may or may not know, I get a strange sense of satisfaction from ironing even the tiniest of clothing and to have them all hung up neatly in a row is euphoric to say the least. Add another baby to the mix and my love affair with the iron, well, not so much. Admit it, there are times when your laundry doesn't make it out of the basket for days and there are the trusty old lounge pants that you just can't justify lugging out the iron for but you still don't want to look like you just rolled out of bed. I was skeptical but after misting on this starch like spray to even the most wrinkly clothes and within a matter of seconds the wrinkles are gone, I was a believer! Just mist it on, smooth with your hands if you want and start stacking. The weight of the clothes seems to work just as an iron would. Sure, you will still have to use the iron on occassion for those stubborn pleats but for times sake and the fact that you are decreasing your chances of burning yourself or others, wrinkle release is a great alternative.

  • Premium Cracker Minis- We are a big fan of saltines here at the Kaiser house. And by "we" I mean Jason. He can eat a whole sleeve within a matter of seconds even after the heartiest of meals, so I strive to keep a box or two in the pantry at all times cause they disappear fast! Hanna hasn't fallen far from the apple tree as she seems to share the love of crackers with her Daddy. Premium minis are the "mini" version of these square snacks. I send them for Hanna in her lunch because they are just her size and you can pop them right in your mouth. I like them for the obvious reason, they're just so darn cute! And I can have as many as I want and not worry about diminishing Jason's saltine supply. I am eating some right now. So, Jason, back away from the minis.....they're mine.

  • Twilight: The Series- I am always up for a good juicy read and not since Phillipa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl have I been so entranced with a series. I got so wrapped up in the story that my household chores started to suffer. Again, another reason to have Downy Wrinkle Release on hand. Now, I didn't neglect my motherly duties only reading little snippets here and there and during naptime but I seemed to whiz through the four part series with great speed. I just couldn't put it down because page after page I kept wanting more. It may not be your kind of novel being that it centers around the life of a vampire with a few werewolves thrown in but there is a sweet romance between vampire and human that you can't help get caught up in. My only complaint is that I read them too fast but I have comfort in the fact that I will read them again and I get to see the first book come to life in the movie theater on November 21st! I feel it would be an injustice to Edward and Bella if I did not mention Twilight in my "favorites" list.

  • Special K Protein Water Mix- Found in the juice/drink aisle at the grocery store, these little packets spice up your water bottle quite nicely and they add a little nourishment and 5g of protein. One little packet has only 30 calories and boasts a hefty 5g of fiber. I need all the help I can get in the fiber department. I like strawberry kiwi, pink lemonade, and surprisingly the iced tea isn't too bad. Just open, sprinkle in your water bottle and give a good shake. It's a great accompaniment to that string of cheese you grab on your way out the door.

  • Suave Kids Detangling Spray- I don't know what we would do without this jewel of an invention. During the night while Hanna sleeps, she gets a visit from the hair fairy. She weaves a nest of destruction in the back of Hanna's head that only a magic wand could untangle. Alas, just a few squirts of this fruity liquid seems to do the trick. It sprays more evenly than others I've tried and leaves Hanna's hair smelling so sweet all day long. My favorite is the double dutch apple but whatever floats your boat. It sure beats sticking their head under a faucet!

Well, that about wraps up my list of favorites for now. I will be adding new ones as I discover them. Please feel free to send any of your little secrets my way. Mom to Mom, we need to help each other out as much as we can. Thank you for your support.


3 comments:

The Robinsons said...

very cute post. this explains the smudges on your face and why you always smell like chocolatey hazelnut. i always thought it was... nevermind.

The Robinsons said...

i'd also like to welcome you back to the realm of the living.

Beth said...

wow, i want to buy all your favorites, it's like you know exactly what i need. now i know what nutella is - I thought you smeared it on your face! Seriously though, good blog and I'm adding you to my blogs to read daily!